I love Easter – I’m not religious, but for our family it’s an opportunity to do lots of craft activities with Pip, and means that Spring is on it’s way and the weather will soon be a bit warmer – fingers crossed….no sign of it yet!
This year we don’t have any major plans but we will be joining some of our friends for a walk around Greenwich Park. Pip loves the idea of the Easter Bunny so this year she’s going to don some bunny ears and give out some eggs to our friends…giving me the perfect excuse to make her a little Easter basket!
I’ve developed a bit of an addiction to t-shirt yarn, it’s fantastic for bowls and baskets, I’ve even used it to make a rug. Zpaghetti is one of my favourite brands but I couldn’t resist buying some Scheepjes Noodle Print yarn recently. They have some great designs but their floral ones are perfect for spring and Easter.
So here’s a picture of the Easter basket I’ve created, I wanted it to have a rounded bottom (all the better for storing more eggs) and not be too large as Pip is only little, so it has to be manageable to carry.
Here is my free pattern in case anyone wants to make a similar one 🙂
Crochet Easter Basket Pattern:
Colour 1: I used a blue shade of Hoooked Zpaghetti
Colour 2: Scheepjes Noodle Print (floral)
I used a 10mm hook.
(US terms, if you are using UK terms do a double crochet instead of what I’ve called single crochet here)
Make a magic ring using colour 1, 6 single crochet into the ring and tighten (6 stitches)
- 2sc into each stitch – make sure you place a stitch marker in your first stitch (12)
- Sc in first stitch, then 2sc in the next. Repeat *sc, 2sc* around. (18)
- Sc in each stitch (18)
- Sc in each of the first two stitches, then do 2sc in the next. Repeat around (24)
- Sc in each of the next three stitches, then 2sc in the next stitch – repeat around (30)
- Sc in each stitch around (30)
- Sc in first four stitches then 2sc in the next, repeat around. (36)
- Sc in first five stitches then 2sc in the next, repeat around (42)
- Sc in each stitch around (42)
- Sc in each stitch around – do not complete final stitch, instead after pulling up a loop, finish the stitch using your other colour yarn (this is the point of colour change)
- Sc in first five stitches, then sc two together (sc2tog) – repeat around (36)
- Sc in first four stitches, then sc2tog, repeat around (30)
- Sc in each stitch (30)
To make the handle:
From where you are on the round, Ch 20 (if you want a longer or shorter handle then just adjust the chain length), slip stitch to join in the 15th stitch around from where you currently are (it will be opposite where the chain started).
Once joined, continue to sc around the basket until you get to where the chain started. Then 20sc around the chain you previously made (this thickens and strengthens the handle). Once done, continue around the other side of the bowl with sc.
Finish off and weave in your ends.
I hope this is straight forward to follow but any questions please do leave me a comment below, and if you do make one using this pattern I would love to see it, so do send me a picture or tag me on Instagram (@holly_pips)